GEF small grant programme
Funded by the Global environment Fund (GEF), the Project aims to provide nancial
and technical support to the local community members, community-based organizations (CBOs) and civil society organizations (CSOs), to meet the overall objective of “Global environmental benets" secured through community-based initiatives and actions. also it aims to deliver global environmental benets in the GEF Focal Areas; Biodiversity, Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, Land Degradation and Sustainable Forest Management, International Waters and Chemicals. The SGP started in Jordan in November 1992. During the period from November 1992 to June 2014, the Programme had funded more than 200 projects which targeted dierent local community groups and areas face various environmental, social and economic challenges.
- Promote a sustainable livelihood strategy that allows communities and households to achieve both global and local benets in the GEF focal
areas while improving their economic conditions;
- Support developing proposals reecting communities’ needs and local environmental priorities;
- Support communities implement project activities independently with technical guidance form the project in the nancial, managerial, and administrative aspects as needed.
- 55% CBOs beneted from Jordan SGP grants are led by women
- 70% women beneted from the capacity development sessions
- SGP Jordan co-nancing exceeded $12,500,000
- Up to June 2014, SGP Jordan supported more than 200 projects
- SGP Jordan is implementing the EU-NGOsenvironmental governance project.