Food and nutrition security in Jordan towards poverty alleviation
Towards enhancing food security and nutrition in Jordan as a main pillar for poverty alleviation, UNDP has led a Joint UN Program to provide credible, coherent assistance to the government at the national and local levels through supporting coordinated national food security response, increasing sustainable food production for small-holder farmers and improving nutrition interventions and safety nets.
What have we accomplished so far
- Developing the Food Security and Nutrition Strategy,
- A Food Security Unit was established at the Minis- try of Agriculture,
- Various income-generating interventions were introduced like the distribution of goats, cows, rabbits, plantation of thyme and Damascus Rose,
- 159 Families benefited from the food security project’s intervention.
- Provide credible, coherent assistance to the government based on a comprehensive framework for action on food security to achieve poverty alleviation.
- Support the Government of Jordan in producing the food security and nutrition strategy.
- Create a food security unit with support to enhance the capacity of its staff.
- Support poor farmers with income-generating interventions.
Who finances it?
Total funded contributions: USD 1,278,775
- UNDP : USD 900,000
- WFP: USD 287,775
- UNICEF: USD 91,000
Delivery in previous fiscal year
- 2010: USD 48,889.34
- 2011: USD 211, 433.55
- 2012: USD 221,623.36