Jordan’s First Biennial Update Report (FBUR) to the UNFCCC
Preparation and submission of Jordan’s First Biennial Update Report (FBUR) to the Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC as part of the fulfilment of its obligations to the Convention under Dec. 1/CP. 16 par. 60 and Dec 2/CP. 17 par. 41 and its Annex III. This project is designed to assist Jordan in the efforts of integrating climate change consideration into the national and development policies and to continue to build on the institutional and technical capacity strengthening process in the areas of Climate Change and National Communications reporting.
The scope of biennial update reports is to provide an update to the most recent submitted national communication in the following areas and it has the following activities to achieve its main outcomes:
1. Updating the national circumstances and institutional arrangements relevant to the preparation of the national communications and biennial update reports.
2. Prepared GHG inventories for the years 2010 and 2012 using the UNFCCC 2006 guidelines and software.
3. Updating the mitigation actions and their impacts, including associated methodologies and assumptions, and the progress of implementation (using LEAP software).
4. identifying constraints and gaps; related financial, technology and capacity building needs assessed; and recommendation for addressing the needs.
5. Support the establishment of a domestic Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) arrangements.
Main Highlights in the Sector
- Jordan signed UNFCCC on 11 June 1992 and ratified it on 12 November 1993.
- So far, Jordan had submitted with the support of GEF and UNDP three National Communication Reports: Initial National Communication (INC) (1998), Second National Communication (SNC) (2009) and Third National Communication (TNC) (2014).
- BURs are reports to be submitted by non-Annex I Parties, containing updates of national Greenhouse Gas (GHG) inventories, including a national inventory report and information on mitigation actions, needs and support received.