Improving parliamentarians capacities of environmental legislation
This project will increase science based awareness among legislators in the lower houses of Algeria, the Palestinian Territory, and Jordan about the advantages and disadvantages of genetically-modified organisms (GMOs), and will facilitate their interactions with their governments to produce proper legislations. It will take the shape of a three-day workshop that will bring together four or five members from the agriculture-irrigation and health-environment committees from the lower house of each participating county to discuss the scientific and regulatory framework for GMOs, with an emphasis on the importation, handling, storage, and use of GMO products.
What have we accomplished so far?
- Relevant stakeholders have been contacted to organize a consultative workshop with the participation of lower house members from the Agriculture, Environment, and Health committees
- Technical experts from academic institutions and the private sector have been invited to participate in the workshop
- Recent issues of biotechnology and GMOs are discussed and brought up to the concerned scientists and policy makers in Algeria, the Palestinian Territory, and Jordan
- Knowledge, information, and international legislations in regard to recent advances and uses of GMOs are transferred
- The present status and measures taken by the Ministries of Agriculture and Health in the three countries is shared
- Communication between parliamentarians interested in GMOs is initiated, and cooperation is established
- Farmers’ awareness and concerns of the public health issues regarding GMOs is increased
- A strategy for the management and control of GMOs and the Ministries of Agriculture and Health in the participating countries are enhanced and supported
- Regulations and instructions regarding GMO use, handling, storage, transportation, and trade are presented and discussed
- A proceeding on the papers and reports on the awareness and public health concerns of GMOs in the region is prepared
Who Finances it?
|Donor Name||Amount Contributed|
|Perez-Guerrero Trust Fund for Economic and Technical Cooperation Among Developing Countries||USD 35,000|