Legal empowerment of the poor
This project aims at upgrading skills of practitioners and policy makers to analyse and diagnose the obstacles to improving the lives of those in the informal economy and develop solutions.
What have we accomplished so far
- Conducting analysis for household survey on employment and a panoramic study of the informal sector in Jordan
- Drafted the National Human Development Report with a focus on regional disparity
Support for the Electoral Cycle in Jordan
What have we accomplished so far?
- The January 2013 election for the Lower House of Parliament was the rst in Jordan conducted by an independent election body. Opinion surveys showed an increase in public confiddence, and observers praised the technical preparations by the IEC. Project advisers helped strengthen the integrity of the process, for example through the introduction of pre-printed ballots with security features. The project also supported a large-scale voter education programme, targeting in particular youth and women.
- After the elections, UNDP conducted a full capacity assessment of the institution and developed a comprehensive institutional development plan for 2014-2016, in preparation for the next national elections.
- With project support, the IEC proposed around 100 recommendations to the Government to strengthen national legislation for future elections.
- With extensive policy, technical and material support from the project, the IEC supervised a new voter registration process in 2012 and continues to build its capacity to maintain a credible registry.
- Most recently, the project prepared a list of detailed recommendations to develop separate and integrated operational plans for the municipal, governorate, and parliamentary elections that will be taking place in 2016
- The project also launched The Political Parties Liaison Council (PPLC) in March 2015 to coordinate the activities of the political parties in Jordan
Who Finances it?
|Donor Name||Amount contributed|
|UNDP Democratic Governance Thematic Trust Fund||200,000 USD|
|Government of Jordan||116,500 USD|
Around the world
You are at UNDP Jordan
Go to UNDP Global