Enhancing institutional capacities to reduce disaster risk and to integrate climate change
What is the project about
The project aims to improve governance and strengthen Jordanian institutional coping mechanisms to address disaster risk reduction (DRR) for natural hazards, and climate change adaptation ( CCA) as it relates to prevention, mitigation, and preparedness for flash flooding.
The project will strive to develop synergies at policy and institutional levels between DRR and CCA, given the strong interface that exists between the two disciplines. The project will also – strengthen institutional capacity in PDTRA and ASEZA to deal with all aspects of disaster risk reduction, including climatic hazards. An important component will be the review of the Building Code in the light of seismic risk assessment by the National Building Council and enhancing the knowledge and experience in structural resilience so that the Jordanian Civil Defense is enable to organize post-disaster emergency response operations.
Ministry of Education will also carry out structural assessment of schools in Amman. This will be achieved through the revision of the construction standards and practices as well as carrying out a seismic and flood vulnerability assessment and retrofit design of selected JCD buildings and public schools.
What have we accomplished so far
- Finalized the design of a 3-year Framework for Action on Integrating Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation with a look towards opportunities for integrating and strengthening poverty reduction strategies
- Finalized the updating of the National Building Code, the development of a curriculum of training of engineers and delivered international capacity training for a number of key institutions.
- Enhanced the capacities of the Jordan Civil Defence on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Developed Integrated Risk Assessment Plans and established and trained DRR Units in PDTRA
- Established and trained "Neighborhoods Disaster Volunteers" in ASEZA
- Supported the development of an Early Warning Strategy for PDTRA to prevent the effects of flash flooding
Who finances it?
|2014 planned budget|
|Donor Name||Amount contributed per year|
|2013 planned budget|
|Donor name||Amount contributed per year|
|Government of Jordan||$165,009|